Microsoft Research New York City (MSR-NYC) is seeking a highly motivated software developer to work with machine learning researchers in the area of reinforcement learning, scalable learning, and modular learning.   A research software engineer in MSR works with researchers and product groups to conduct high-quality research, on issues that are specifically focused on solving problems for specific product groups.
Located in the Chelsea neighborhood in Manhattan, MSR-NYC is building on Microsoft’s commitment to advance the state of the art in machine learning, data science, computational social science, algorithmic economics, information retrieval, and data ethics.
1. Assist researchers to create software prototypes and systems in the areas of machine learning.
2. Design, implement and maintain a portfolio of solutions.
3. Help transferring research technologies to product teams.
Key Success Criteria:
1. Learn new skills rapidly and applying as needed.
2. Provide high quality support to all researchers in the lab.
3. Create and maintaining relationships with product teams.
4. Ability to assist in research with members of the lab.
1. Help scope, define, and deliver new machine learning based solutions.
2. Work closely with researchers, and other business groups to drive innovation and integration of machine learning technology into Microsoft products.
3. Drive sound architecture, design, and implementation through hands-on development.
4. Conduct technical investigations and prototyping in a fast-paced startup-like environment.
5. Work with partner teams on implementation plans, quality engineering testing considerations and estimates of time for implementation.
• BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or other technical degree, or 7+ years of related technical experience.
• Experience with in .NET, C#, C++, Python and Windows or Linux.
• Experience prototyping statistical analysis and modeling algorithms and apply these algorithms for data driven solutions to problems in new domains.
• Working experience with machine learning algorithms.
• Knowledge and experience working with distributed computing systems (Hadoop, Spark, GPU)
• A strong background in data structures and algorithms.
• Excellent communication skills and the desire to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team.
• Great design and problem solving skills, with a strong bias for architecting at scale.
• Ability to work independently and ramp up quickly on complex and unfamiliar code.
MSR provides a unique environment that encourages risk-taking and creative, scientific, and long-term thinking. At the same time, our partnerships with Microsoft’s business groups provide a great channel for product impact that touches the lives of millions of people daily. You will work in a team of researchers and developers driven by a passion to solve challenging problems.   All candidates must be capable of establishing and maintaining relationships with all levels and roles within Microsoft Research and product teams throughout Microsoft.   We welcome applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.