Machine Learning Scientist
In the Learning Systems Group of the Cloud and Information Services Lab (CISL), we research, design and develop state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms, tools and systems. Our mission is to contribute to the democratization of machine learning through research. To do so, we collaborate with Microsoft Research and the academic community. We actively engage in open source software development. Our work directly informs and shapes products such as Azure ML, Azure Data Lake and Microsoft R Server.
You will be a part of an enthusiastic and experienced team that takes pride in creating state-of-the-art ML technology. We are looking for people with a combination of:
•      Fundamental ML knowledge: You either have authored papers in relevant top-tier venues (like ICML, NIPS, KDD, CVPR, ACL, etc.) and/or have read them for pleasure.
•      Excellent development and implementation skills: You enjoy creating efficient, well-designed implementations of learning algorithms, finding their non-trivial applications, and conducting thorough evaluations.
•      Drive to democratize ML: You are both amazed by and proud of the machine learning community and its accomplishments and at the same time disappointed by its localized impact thus far. You want to help make machine learning useful beyond the web companies across a wide array of application domains.
•      Identifying and solving hard, yet tractable problems to overcome to democratize machine learning.
•      Contribute to the state-of-the-art in machine learning and share those advances through publications in top venues.
•      Attract and mentor research interns.
•      Help design and deliver both general and domain-specific machine learning algorithms and systems.
•      Drive sound design and implementation through hands-on development.
•      Work with partner teams on the integration of machine learning technology into their products.
•      PhD in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Physics or Engineering.
•      Publications in major conferences and/or journals.
•        2+ years of machine learning experience
•      Great design and problem solving skills, with a strong bias for architecting for performance, scalability, usability, security, and reliability.
•      Good communicator with the ability to analyze and clearly articulate complex issues and technologies understandably and engagingly.
•      2+ years of Experience in one or more of the commonly used parallel/distributed systems/technologies (Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, MPI, CUDA, ...).
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.