The Microsoft Holographic Studios work closely with the incubation group that recently announced the world’s first holographic computer – Microsoft HoloLens. Together we believe that the Microsoft HoloLens and related technologies are going to change the way we as users think about computing. Our Holographic Studios are multidisciplinary teams of creative and technology professionals that want to empower our customers to envision the possibilities of this technology and build the experiences of the future. Our team works in tight collaboration with external consumer, enterprise, and commercial partners, crafting innovative solutions that leverage both the power of the HoloLens and the deep domain expertise of our many customers. We brainstorm exciting and ground-breaking experiences and quickly build working prototypes on top of developing tech. We transform our ideas into reality through shipping first-to-market products.
Our aspirations are simple:
• We want to improve people’s lives.
• Delight our customers, and help discover and ship new experiences that positively impact the world.
Excited yet? Fantastic! We currently need exceptional candidates to help us achieve our goals.
We are looking for a talented Senior Technical Artist to help us craft innovative solutions. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working with Maya and Unity with the ability to rig, weight, script, and fully understand, implement and maintain the art pipeline – from initial modeling to final exported assets, displayed on the HoloLens device. The candidate should be comfortable with cutting-edge technologies, as well as beta hardware and software. Able to design holistic experiences from flows, wireframes, motion studies to visual comps and lead the development of interactive prototypes.
• 3D Pipelines – Create, oversee and maintain all technical aspects of the 3D and artistic pipeline.
• Deliver – Allow the team to create experiences for HoloLens that smoothly bridge digital and real environments.
• Improve – Offer and drive improvements in proof-of-concept, interactivity, and usability for HoloLens applications and products. We are always looking at ways to optimize the time it takes for us to create our experiences.   You would need to determine shortcomings in our existing suite of tools and propose impactful additions.
• Collaboration – Work with internal UI/UX, design and development teams to collaborate and promote best practices for HoloLens. We need a technical artist who can work effectively with other disciplines to identify probable points of risk in executing a project, provide options to mitigate those risks, and execute on the plan.
• Contribute – Contribute across the team and with the client, and willing to get involved in all art aspects, where possible, which may include, story boarding, prototyping, graphics, animation etc.
• BA/BS in computer science, graphic, visual design, art, or interaction design or similar.
• 5+ years of relevant experience with multiple shipped software products.
• A deep understanding of Maya, rigging, weighting, modeling, shader creation, Unity 3D and general art pipelines.
• Comfortable in a fast-paced incubation/startup environment and driven by designing and developing world class software/hardware experiences.
• Past examples of rapid prototyping user interfaces with limited engineering support. Can rapidly iterate/vet potential art styles (motion, typography, color, human factors) and visualize proposals for the proof of concept.
• Has a robust portfolio illustrating creativity and a proficiency of user-centric designs.
• Passionate about creating, communicating, and translating the business needs of the customer.
• Ability to work independently and help mentor and coach team members.
• Demonstrate a mastery of visual design applications.
• Game development experience, ideally across multiple platforms.
• Software Packages - Hands-on visual and motion design skills using the following software packages: Maya, Unity3D, Z-Brush, Adobe Packages (Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, Flash, After Effects)
• Video production, editing and motion design.
• Particle system creation.
• Python, Java, Mel, scripting abilities.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity. All applications for vacant positions will be welcomed and will be considered on the relative merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of color, race, nationality, ethnic origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion, or belief.