The Indirect Tax Manager will be based in Microsoft’s EMEA Operations Centre in Sandyford, Dublin and will have responsibility for all Indirect Tax activities for a number of key Microsoft subsidiaries in the EMEA region.
The position is high profile and will have frequent contact with a wide range of stakeholders including the subsidiaries’ Financial Controllers and Finance Directors, Corporate based Tax department, on-site VAT and Corporate Tax Consulting and Compliance teams, EMEA business owners, EMEA Risk Management team, Credit Services department, Legal and EMEA Trade department as well as a variety of external stakeholders including the Revenue Commissioners and foreign tax authorities, external professional advisers and tax colleagues in other MNC’s.
The role will involve working as part of a dedicated VAT team, supporting the key Microsoft subsidiaries to ensure that timely and accurate VAT advice and support is provided to relevant stakeholders within the entities.   This position will include a requirement to provide ongoing VAT training to various business groups within the EMEA Operations Centre and the subsidiaries to ensure understanding of and compliance with evolving VAT compliances rules.
The role also involves a determination to seek out and implement process improvements to the current indirect tax processes and procedures.   The successful candidate will be required to influence others to achieve key objectives and delivery impact for the VAT/Tax function in region.
- Overall responsibility for all Indirect Tax compliance matters (VAT, VIES, Intrastat etc.) for a number of key Microsoft subsidiaries across EMEA.
- Manage VAT compliance implications of intercompany and domestic transactions.
- Responsible for timely, accurate & compliant filings for a number of Microsoft subsidiaries and registrations.
- Engage with outsourced teams including KPMG ITCC Budapest, KPMG Dublin and Accenture One Finance on Indirect Tax compliance matters for the relevant subsidiaries.
- Support subsidiaries’ Indirect Tax audits and inquiries with local Tax authorities in multiple jurisdictions.
- Assist and support the Financial Controllers and Finance Directors in a number of Microsoft subsidiaries with regard to VAT compliance activities.
- Subject matter expert on Indirect Tax issues for financial reporting during the financial close process.
- Monitor, interpret and understand VAT implications of any legislative or reporting changes as applicable and advise and implement as necessary.
- Identify, design and implement indirect tax process improvements where required.
- Indirect Tax lead on strategic projects and systems/process changes.
- Research, understand and implement new tools and systems to improve indirect tax processes.
- Build out Indirect Tax compliance requirements for new businesses.
- Provide customised VAT education and training to various on-site and remote groups.
- Assist the International VAT Director and VAT teams as required.
Qualifications and Capabilities Should Include
- Qualified Tax Professional and Accountant (AITI / CTA & ACA/ ACCA / CIMA).
- Minimum 5/6+ years relevant indirect tax experience with Big 4, Industry or preferably both.
- Strong understanding of Indirect Tax in a cross-border environment. Good knowledge of Customs duty is desirable.
- Excellent working knowledge of Indirect Tax compliance processes, from data extraction to return submission with previous in-house tax compliance experience a distinct advantage.   The focus is on data integrity, global compliance automation and process solutions.
- Experience of working in a dynamic, diverse multinational environment.
- Strong collaboration, impact and influence and judgement skills.
- Ability to work effectively with the other members of the EMEA VAT and Corporate Tax Consulting and Compliance teams as well as the International and US-based Corporate Tax teams.
- Competent understanding of EU VAT legislation.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a variety of internal and external stakeholders through effective communication.
Broad systems (SAP, VERTEX, etc.) knowledge and strong computer literacy skills.
- Develop solutions to complex business problems from a VAT perspective through in-depth analysis, innovation, communication and negotiation with key decision makers in a timely and professional manner.
- Coordinate, liaise with and develop strong business relationships with Microsoft Tax, Legal, Finance, Trade, Treasury and International Accounting in order to ensure that these internal clients are receiving quality and timely VAT planning advice.
- Evaluate areas where VAT compliance could be improved, including collection of data, appropriate invoice methodology and coordinating with IT development teams to implement robust taxing and reporting processes.
- Assist International Tax colleagues and various business managers in developing tax-efficient business models for new and existing businesses to ensure that no adverse VAT compliance exposure is created.
- Must be able to work on own initiative to meet deadlines, with strong interpersonal skills
Microsoft maintains a global tax planning and compliance strategy that is administered and coordinated at the Microsoft Corporate level, as part of Corporate Finance and Administration, under the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the Company.   This set-up assures proper coordination and implementation of appropriate policies and procedures.
Tax is responsible for Worldwide Tax Reporting, Compliance and Planning as well as for coordinating worldwide tax functions.   There are six major functions within the Tax Division.   1) Tax Affairs; 2) International Tax and Transfer Pricing; 3) Tax Reporting; 4) Corporate Tax Planning; 5) Tax Controversies; and 6) Indirect Tax.
Empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more.   That’s what inspires us, drives our work and pushes us to challenge the status quo every day.   At Microsoft, we also work to empower our employees so they can achieve more.   We believe we should each find meaning in our work and we ensure employees have the freedom and the reach to help make a difference in the world.
Microsoft’s Finance vision is focused on how business partnership leads to outcomes and how we drive impact.   We do this through our core values – People, Prioritization, Partnership and Protect.