The Decision Service (http://aka.ms/mwt ) team is hiring.
We are creating a new paradigm for machine learning focused on directly addressing real-world decision making.   Our efforts span core learning theory, algorithms, systems, economics, and practical production deployments, which have proved dramatically effective---they affect millions of people daily.
The Decision Service is a machine learning system for making context-based decisions.   The system supports a full cycle of exploration, logging, training, and deployment in production. Built as a cloud service in Azure, the system is widely applicable, modular, and easy to use with open source components.   The Decision Service is the only reinforcement-based learning system that is widely usable in the world.
Do you want to help us build the future?   We are taking the next step to create an enterprise ready service and are looking for a skilled and experienced Principal Data Scientist with a deep background in systems engineering, experimental design, statistics, simulation or a related field to focus on driving the use of experimental techniques, including optimal experimental design.
This role is key to help with the transformation to deliver on the promise of reinforcement-based learning systems as a cloud service. The ability to think rigorously, reason over complex statistical computation and a deep familiarity with software engineering are all musts. We hire people with a burning curiosity about everything, a track record of applying complex reasoning to technical problems and authentic desire to improve Microsoft’s product quality and customer outcomes.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
• Assisting in statistical debugging, core algorithm implementation and automated offline experimentation.
• Data wrangling and framing aspects of new applications of the decision service.
• Drive end-to-end projects by utilizing, applying and analyzing data associated business problems.
• Working closely with Microsoft engineering and research teams to influence the future product roadmap.
• Work directly with application teams/partners (internal clients such as Data Group, Azure, Windows, Office 365) to understand their offerings/domain and make them successful with the Decision Service so they can leverage these technologies.
• Apply data analysis, data mining and data engineering to present data clearly and develop experiments.
• Ensuring high-quality data and understanding how data is generated by experimental design and how these experiments can produce actionable, trustworthy conclusions.
• MS or PhD in Computer Science, Economics, Statistics, Operations Research or equivalent technical field.
• 8+ years of real-world experience with machine learning algorithms.
• Experience with explore/exploit tradeoffs and reinforcement learning approaches.
• Experience with multiple learning frameworks is desirable with Vowpal Wabbit a plus.
• Experience in applying, implementing, and/or developing algorithms for machine learning, artificial intelligence, or statistics.
• Experience with a general-purpose programming language (C, C#, C++).
• Experience with application development practices and version control systems (GIT, VSO).
• Experience with data processing systems such as Cosmos, Hadoop, or Spark.
• Experience in building web services and Azure technologies.
• Ability to collaborate with multiple partners spread across different teams and geographies.
• Excellent communication skills and the desire to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.